Tuesday, April 27, 2010

gsoc 2010 first steps.

Hi, everybody!

This is my first blog, first blog entry. I`d like to tell you about beginnig of my open source life :)

  Today is the 2010th year, this year is special for me.
  A guy from university told me how he worked about an open source project during a summer he made an interesting project and it was interesting for me, because I only worked about commercial projects. So, I wanted to know how open source projects "live", where I can find interesting for me project. Then he said that I can work like he worked, he showed site of the Google Summer of Code (gsoc in future), list of projects of previous years. I knew about gsoc and I liked this idea!

  I began to find organizations interested for me, I found a lot interesting open source projects. I tried several communities but projects were not simple, so I decided to choose only one. All projects were interesting and may be I chose not a project but community. The most excited and funny was the OpenMRS project`s community.

  I did not do anything special I just followed advices they wrote on their website and gsoc`s FAQ. I read developer`s guide, found their trac with introductory tickets and began to work. And it`s great, because I began to understand what is open source!

I was accepted to the gsoc this year. I was so happy to know this, but today I`m not worrying so much now I see there are a lot of work, interesting work and I like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment